As a new year (and a new decade) approaches, it’s tempting to let our minds turn to resolutions and goals for the coming year. It’s a tradition rooted in optimism and determination and we certainly admire those who follow through with it. But, while we’re excited to see what 2020 holds in store for Urban Southern, we also believe it’s important to wrap 2019 up properly first!
After all, taking the time to reflect on the lessons learned and the sweet memories made over the last 12 months is a great way to practice gratitude for another year on this earth. No matter the trials and tribulations a year may have held, there were inevitably sweet moments and precious memories to be savored as well. With this in mind, we’ve created a list of 7 questions to help us reflect on the year we’ve had, and 3 more to look forward to the one that’s about to begin.
2019 was a big, emotional year for Urban Southern. It saw us close one chapter, saying goodbye to the wonderful people and lovely setting that gave us our start, and open an exciting new one with an enthusiastic team of fresh faces and a welcoming new home. Throughout 2019’s wistful goodbyes in Tennessee to its promising hellos in Pennsylvania, one face remained constant: Our production manager, Ruby Schwartz.
That’s why we asked Ruby to share her responses to our year-end reflection questions on the blog today. We’ll also share the list of questions on their own at the bottom of this post so that you can easily copy and paste if you’d like. We hope these reflections may inspire or guide your own, as they have ours, so that we may all enter the new year with full hearts.
2019 Reflections and 2020 Goals with Ruby Schwartz
Urban Southern’s very own Production Manager extraordinaire!
1. In just a few words how would you describe your journey with Urban Southern from January to now?
Uncertainty, anticipation, transition, appreciation.
Uncertainty because at the beginning of the year we knew Regina might be selling Urban Southern to Danny and Rachel but we weren’t sure.
Anticipation because once we knew the transition was coming I was excited. I really loved Danny and Rachel and felt like they were the perfect fit to take over.
Transition because moving the company from Tennessee to Pennsylvania was no small undertaking!
And appreciation because my own relocation to Pennsylvania made me even more appreciative of people like my sisters who are my constants no matter how far away I may live.
2. What is something you accomplished this year that you’re proud of?
I’m really proud of how smoothly Urban Southern’s transition went and the role I played in that. Danny and Rachel trusted me from the start to take the lead and, even though it was a lot of hard work, I don’t think it could’ve gone any better.
3. What is the most important thing you learned about yourself this year?
Probably that I’m uncomfortable with uncertainty but once I know what needs to be done I step up. I guess I thrive in chaos!
4. If you could do one thing differently about 2019, what would it be?
Not forget to pack my coffee pot when I moved! The first couple of weeks without my French Press were rough!
5. What was something you did or tried for the first time in 2019?
CrossFit. I fell in love with it! I’ve always liked strength training but the added challenges of CrossFit require a lot of mental focus which seems to help clear my mind. I like to say it helps me “people” better!
I also went to New York City at Christmas time which was a first for me. The last time I was there was with Urban Southern for Fashion Week, which falls in February. I’m a country girl but I really enjoy the energy of the Big Apple and it made it feel extra special to go right before Christmas and get to see everything all dressed up for the holidays.
6. What is something that happened in 2019 that you never expected?
Moving to Pennsylvania! When Danny and I initially discussed it I thought I would come for a couple of weeks and train the new team and then go home to Tenessee. When I realized he wanted me to actually move to Pennsylvania I was a little shocked but also excited at the idea of the new experiences that would bring with it.
7. What is your favorite memory from this year?
Definitely meeting my newest nephew. His name is Jake and he’s so freaking cute! I have 3 nieces and 3 nephews and they’re the light of my life! I got to hold Jake a lot when I went home for Thanksgiving and I just love his bright blue eyes and adorable chin dimple!
1. What is something you want to do or try for the first time in 2020?
Visiting Scotland! It’s always been a dream of mine and I’ve read a lot about its history. 2020 is the year I want to make it happen!
2. What is something you want to have or do less of in 2020?
Hit the snooze button less often!
3. What is something you’d like to get better at in 2020?
I’d like to get better at cardio or at least better at enjoying it. I love strength training but I just don’t love cardio!
Your 2019 Reflections
- In just a few words how would you describe your journey from January to now?
- What is something you accomplished this year that you’re proud of?
- What is the most important thing you learned about yourself this year?
- If you could do one thing differently about 2019, what would it be?
- What was something you did or tried for the first time in 2019?
- What is something that happened in 2019 that you never expected?
- What is your favorite memory from this year?
Your 2020 Goals
- What is something you want to do or try for the first time in 2020?
- What is something you want to have or do less of in 2020?
- What is something you’d like to get better at in 2020?
What was your favorite memory from 2019? What are your goals for 2020? Share in the comments!
The post Reflecting on 2019 and Looking Forward to 2020 appeared first on Urban Southern.
There Are No Comments For This Post